The best protein sources
Protein is an essential nutrient, it helps build tissue, cells, bones, muscle, skin and hormones. A high protein diet helps lower blood pressure, fight diabetes, lose weight and belly fat, while increasing our strength and muscle mass. Studies also suggest, that eating more protein helps minimise the muscle loss associated with aging. For this reason we should eat high-quality protein at every meal.
Here are some of the best animal and plant protein sources.
- Lean white meat: chicken or turkey breast- very satiating and high in protein. 22 grams of protein per 100 grams and only 100 calories.
- Red meat: beef, pork, lamb- over 20 grams of quality protein. Higher in calories than white meat, because of fat content. Should be avoided by people with health problems (high cholesterol).
- Tuna, cod, salmon, tilapia, sardines, shrimps- around 20 grams of protein per 100 grams of product.
- Cottage cheese- good source of slowly absorbable casein protein.
- Cheese- great source of protein and healthy fats. Over 20 grams of protein in 100 grams. But high in calories, because of the fat content.
- Milk- good source of calcium.
- Natural/Greek yogurt- good source of bacteria and enzymes to improve the gut and digestive system.
- Whey or casein protein powder- great source of protein, you can now buy vegan varieties for those who are lactose intolerance.
One of the best sources of protein and healthy fats (egg yolks). One egg contains about 6 grams of protein and only 78 calories!
Nuts and Seeds
- Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, peanuts, cashew nuts, chia seeds, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, linseed- high in protein, fiber and vitamins. All very high in calories, but good sources of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.
- Soybeans (also edamame, tofu, tempeh, soya protein)- rich source of protein, iron, calcium and fiber.
- Lentils- high in fiber, magnesium, iron and copper. Around 10 grams of protein in 100 grams and only 120 calories.
- Beans and Peas.
These sources of food contain mainly carbohydrates, however they are also rich in protein.
- Oats – low in cholesterol. 13 grams of protein in 100 grams.
- Quinoa – naturally gluten-free. Contains iron, fiber and the full amino acid chain (complete protein).
The importance of eating enough protein cannot be overstated. It is the simplest, easiest and most delicious way to lose weight and feel good!
You are just one click away from rebooting your body.
Don't let another minute go by.
+44 (0)7716 929 146
My name is Adrian Rozanski – Certified Personal Trainer, Nutritionist and Judo Black Belt holder.
I believe in fitness, because it is not only about how we look, but also how we feel, so stop making excuses and make it happen. Healthy, athletic look, physical fitness, well-being, with me you will not have to choose, you can have it all, just join me, just join my-coach.